Saturday, January 14, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday -- For The Living

As a change of pace, I'm sharing a snippet from a current work-in-progress instead of a finished book. Today, six sentences from the first chapter of For The Living:

Who the hell showed up at…Jesus, how the hell was it already nine fifty-seven at night?

Something tightened in my gut. My eyes darted toward my cell phone, which remained still and silent on the coffee table beside my mostly empty glass. Heart pounding, I started toward the door, and with every step, that something tightened. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end, and the deadbolt had never clicked quite as loudly as it did when I turned it just then.

I opened the door, and when I saw the pair of somber-faced cops on the porch with their hats in their hands, I knew.

Want to play along? It’s fun and easy!
1. pick a project – a current WIP, contracted work or even something readers can buy if you’re published
2. pick six sentences
3. post ‘em on Sunday

6 comments:

  1. Oh! Oh, this sounds sad. And I know nothing about it (I need to get back into using MSN, clearly)

    Um, have you updated your blog to US time yet? Because it's still Saturday in the UK...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you DO need to get back on MSN. *huff*

      And Blogger and I are still arguing about the settings. I change it, it's still Japan time, I change it again...yadda yadda yadda.

      Delete
  2. Uh-oh! Cops at the door probably isn't a good thing. I'll be back next week to find out what they have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, I love the tension in this! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yikes, I feel bad for the character as this can't be good!

    ReplyDelete